Saturday 11 December 2010

writing - a learning process

Like so many other things, writing is a learning process.   I am constantly discovering things I didn't know.  Although I haven't taken any writing classes recently, I have taken quite a few in the past.  I still read books and articles on writing and probably always will.  Occasionally I'll reread a book, sort of like a refresher course; when I do I usually come across something I've forgotten, or at least a reminder of something that I should reconsider.  I find myself thinking more critically about the books I read and the movies I watch, analyzing why the author handled the characters or the plot a certain way.  Talking to my fans about writing also helps.  It makes me think about things I haven't consciously considered for a while. 

At a recent book signing, a fan asked about tips to make a description seem more real.  Since then I've thought about my response and what else I could have told her.  I'm going to add my thoughts to my tips for writers page.  I'll continue to add to the page as I learn or rediscover more.  (These are all things that I wish someone had told me when I first started writing.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment